October 6, 2015

2 Weeks Post Op

Daily Routine:  I have settled into a routine.  I wake up, eat breakfast, and get 1 hour in the CPM.  Then I go to my morning PT session.  After PT I come home and get another 2 hours in the CPM, eat lunch, then go to my afternoon PT session.  I get home around 3 pm and immediately jump in the CPM for another 2 hours.  I typically take a break around 5 pm and take a shower or do other small chores. I eat dinner then spend the rest of the evening in the CPM typically watching tv or reading.

Range of Motion:  I have reached 30 degrees on the CPM and it is relatively pain free.  First thing in the morning it is very stiff and I have to work up to 30 degrees but by the end of the day I'm relatively pain free while doing it.

Physical Therapy:  My morning PT session focuses on my knee exercises.  I am very limited to what I can do due to how fragile the graft is.  I am still focussing on trying to contract my quad.  I have been able to do this but it is weak and I can only hold the contraction for a few seconds then I lose it.  I also do straight leg raises (SLR) with the brace on.  I need help from my therapist to lift my leg and lower it. However, he applies the minimal pressure so I am still using my muscle.  The straight leg raises are extremely painful but I am able to work through the pain by focusing on breathing.

In addition to the quad sets and SLRs I now do scar massage and move my knee cap around (patellar mobilization) to break up scar tissue.  My therapist does this for me but I will begin doing it myself at home when I can stand the pain.  Also I have a hard time finding my kneecap due to the swelling.  I attached a video of me doing patellar mobilization and scar massage at post op week 7.


My afternoon PT session focuses on the rest of my body.  I do some form of cardio such as an arm bike or one-legged rowing.  Then I do exercises which focus on my core and upper body.  The afternoon PT sessions are my choice to go.  I was very worried about losing my fitness level due to this surgery.  My therapist is fantastic and works with me to maintain my overall level of fitness.  The rehab center I go to has a full gym so my therapist helps me get into weight lifting machines and designs exercises for me that I can do despite crutches and being locked out in a bulky brace. Being able to workout the rest of my body and stay in shape has helped me more mentally than physically.  Exercise is such a big part of my life and I am glad that I can keep some level of fitness.

Pain:  I am off Percocet for the most part.  I take it occasionally at night to help sleep.  The Percocet has been tearing up my stomach so I am determined not to take it unless I really need it.  My pain level is much better than the first week.

Sleeping:  I still have trouble getting comfortable at night.  I still have to sleep on my back since lying on my side is still too painful.  I usually wake up around 3 am with painful throbbing but I am able to drift back asleep sometimes.  I am supposed to wear the brace at all times unless showering, in the CPM, or at therapy for the first 8 weeks.  It is bulky so that partly contributes to my issues getting comfortable at night.

Other Thoughts:  I am able to move around easier.  Getting in and out of the car is much less daunting.  I only shower every 2 days since it's a pain in the ass and I'm worried about falling.  Sometimes I just don't have the energy.  I haven't felt up to going out and doing any activities yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment