June 3, 2016

9 Months Post Op

First of all, let me apologize for not doing an 8 month post.  Life tends to get in the way of things.  But at least that means my knee is not holding me back from living it.  I'm at 9 months now and I'll try to catch you up.

In the 2 months since my last post, I have not noticed much improvement or difference in my recovery.  I've found myself asking the questions "is this as good as it gets?  Am I still going to see improvements down the road?"

To sum things up, here are the things I still cannot do:
- Run
- Jump
- One leg squats
- Climb stairs without discomfort or weakness

Here is what I can do now:
- Walk 2 miles at 1730 min mile pace on the treadmill
- Front squats with 20 lbs
- Lunges with 5 lbs in each hand
- Descend stairs normally
- Unrestricted biking and elliptical
- Rowing machine
- Any weight machines in the gym expect leg extension (I heard this puts a lot of stress on the knee so I don't do it)

Issues I'm Still Having:

Weakness:  My operated leg is still much weaker than the right leg though I workout 5 times a week.  I can still see lack of definition in my quads when I compare it to my right leg.  Sometimes when I walk it locks and gives out, then I stumble.  This usually happens after I've had a tough workout.  I think it's due to muscle fatigue.  It usually takes me by surprise and scares me a little but I have no additional pain when it happens.

Pain:  While I don't have a lot of discomfort, I still feel pain in the area of the graft.  I wonder if this will ever go away. I feel it when I try to do a one leg squat or do step ups.  Running is still out of the question because of this.  One of my big questions is why am I still feeling this?  Is it because the graft is still hardening or is it because the graft has worn away?  I saw my surgeon last at 5 months post op.  He said I didn't need to come back unless I was having issues after a year.  At that point I could get an MRI to see what's going on.  I will definitely be going back to see what he says if I feel the same 3 months from now.

Popping/Cracking:  So this has gotten significantly better.  I still feel popping but it's almost like a release and it feels good.  But my PT said she's never heard someone's knee make noises like that post op so that was discouraging.  But then again, she has never heard of ACI until me.

Things That Have Gotten Better:

Stability:  My leg feels much more stable and I'm confident when I'm doing squats and lunges.  I think this is a result of building my strength back.

Stairs:  I am now to the point where I can go down stairs normally without hanging onto the handrail for dear life.  Going up stairs I don't need to use the handrail but I have to concentrate and make sure my quad is flexed and my knee is tracking straight.

Walking:  I'm really starting to pick up the pace on the treadmill.  My PT says we should try to work toward fast walking and hopefully be able to transition to run at some point.  So I'm working toward walking 2 miles at 15 min mile pace over the next 2 months.

Overall Impressions at this Point:
I had no idea at 9 months I'd still be struggling with pain in the graft area and muscle weakness.  It is also still surprising to me how slow and incremental the recovery is.  For instance, my experience with stairs has been characterized as slow but gradual improvement since 3 months post op.  I am wondering when I will reach my "peak" of recovery and when I will stop seeing improvements.  I hope that it is not now because I would be disappointed at the results of the surgery if this is as good as it gets.  In hindsight,  I wish I had a PT who had experience working with ACI patients because she can't answer my questions so we're sort of figuring this out together.

*On another note, thank you everyone for all the comments and encouragement.  It helps to hear how others are fairing after this surgery.  I wish you all the best and will continue to post and look forward to reading about your experiences.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog! I'm a 36 year old athlete with arthritis in my left knee, currently weighing my options :-/.

    As for your repaired leg not getting stronger, have you tried doing strengthening exercises less (giving your quad time to repair and grow) and eating more protein?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog. Though I do workout about 5 times a week I do a variety of exercises and don't always focus on quad strength. I'm worried if I don't do strength training regularly though, I wouldn't be able to build back my quad. I'm beginning to think that this isn't something you can rush no matter how much you work out. I do focus on eating protein but I'm sure I could eat more. When I was in the beginning few months after surgery I probably ate more protein as a way to stay away from carbs to keep off weight. I was worried about gaining weight because I was a lot less active.

      Delete
  2. Hi Megan, Thank you so much for your posts. I am scheduled for ACI/TTO on 8/29/16 (pending insurance approval), and have greatly appreciated your posts. I have also found the https://desperate2run.com/2016/03/ blog very helpful (and inspiring) because she is 4 years post ACI and just finished a half marathon. It may make you feel better to read what she has to say, since I think the recovery protocol set forth by Carticel is overly ambitious. Best wishes for continued progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, good luck on your surgery. I'd love to hear how you're doing afterwards. I did read her blog and yes I believe the carticel protocol is very ambitious. The protocol I got from my surgeon was very similar to the carticel guide. I've not met any goals from my protocol on time. For instance, the goal at week 8 was no effusion. I had swelling for 5 months. And my protocol says to start running at 9 months which is definitely not happening. It's sort of irritating but I've learned to take the suggested goals with a grain of salt.

      Delete
  3. Hang in there Megan! I'm 12 weeks post op, due to the large size of my lesion, everything is delayed 4 weeks. I'm on one crutch and anxiously awaiting my unloader brace that has been ordered and should be coming in any day now. I'm relatively pain free but it seems like every day around 7pm, my knee starts to swell up (slightly) and the only way I can describe the way my knee feels is "tired". It's tight, and I just don't feel like being on my feet any more. It's a really bad feeling. Does anyone else experience this? I think it's probably a normal part of recovery but it's like clockwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy, thanks for the comment. I'm curious what size your lesion was? I was still struggling being on my feet for long periods at 12 weeks so I think what you're experiencing is totally normal. At the end of the day I would always have some additional swelling and feel sore. I chalk this up to daily activities. This went on for several months. But my tightness and tired feelings have gone away by now. Sounds like you're doing great!

      Delete
    2. Megan, my lesion was a 3cm+ oval. I've got a picture of it from surgery and it's pretty shocking that it was so large. My new brace came in yesterday and it's much more supportive and comfortable. I had considerably less pain yesterday once I had the new brace.

      Delete
    3. HI Andy, hope you're doing well. My lesion was about 1 sq cm. I used a brace for two months but once I removed it I haven't used anything since. I've wondered if a brace would have helped my issues with weakness.

      Delete
  4. Hi, i've been scouring the internet for as much information as possible about the ACI process.

    I was wondering, if you can remember, how long did it take from your scope to get the cartilage sample, grow, and surgery for implantation? I'm now at 1 month 3 weeks waiting for the implantation surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt. I had my implantation surgery 3 months and 1 week after the scope. However, this was partly my choosing. I had some work commitments I needed to finish up prior to having surgery so I asked If I could wait. My surgeon told me the sample would be ready in 6 weeks but is good for up to 2 years if I wanted to wait to have the surgery.

      Delete
  5. Hi Megan. Have you tried taking ozone injections?

    I started taking them a month ago and have to say I feel extremely big improvements! The doctor told me that the operation isn't necessary, but that I will have to take ozone injections at least 1 year, before even taking MRI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried any injections. However, I am considering seeing a sport medicine doctor that recommended injections but I haven't seen him yet. My primary Dr talked with him briefly on the phone to see if he's had an experience with ACI patients. He said he hadn't but suggested trying injections as long as my surgeon approved it. I've decided to wait a little longer before trying that. I'd really like to go back and see my surgeon at the 1 year point to determine if the graft is healthy first.

      Delete
  6. Hey Megan! I'm so glad you wrote a blog to document your ACI. I've also been blogging since my surgery. I am 11 weeks post-op today, and it's definitely a day to day struggle for me. My leg is so atrophied I don't know how it'll ever come close to the size of my non-operative leg. I spoke with a PT today who works at the clinic I am doing rehab at (but not my PT), and he has worked with many ACIs. He says it really takes a year to really start to feel more normal, and that he HAS seen people come out better than pre-op. Some days I wonder if ACI was the right decision, I'm sure you have too! But it looks like you're doing pretty well, so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimi! Thanks for the comment. Yes, it was day to day for me for the first 3 months. Once you start walking normal things get so much better. I am still struggling with the atrophy. But I have gained a lot of strength back. It just takes a long time. From talking with other ACI patients I've heard that you really don't start feeling normal until 12-18 months after surgery. I am glad to hear this because for awhile I was wondering why I am still having issues. Keep it up! I'm sure you're doing great!

      Delete